Monday 18 August 2008

Very sad news ..

Sad news. The second death of the summer. This one unexpected and tragic. My brother's future brother-in-law (ie - his fiancee's brother) aged 24 died on Friday. I think the circumstances were similar to my uncle's death - in that the family heard a large thump, went to investigate and found Eric dead on the floor from a heart attack. The funeral was yesterday.

I met Eric last autumn when he came to the UK for the engagement party and his first trip to London. He loved being a tourist and went to the London Eye and goodness knows how many other touristy spots and was full of warmth, cheer and chat. Definitely a character! He was at medical school and wanted to be the kind of doctor or psychiatrist who really helped people.

My brother said that Eric was busy planning the bachelor party for him and was really looking forward to the wedding. Very, very sad news. I can't quite believe it and it seems so unfair, both for Eric who had so much to look forward to and for his poor family. In my mind he is still so alive .. I can't quite believe he won't be physically with us at future family gatherings.

One of the other volunteers here said "Death reminds you to live." Tragedy certainly puts everything into perspective and lets the pettiness and the unimportant things in life fall away to insignificance.

If you would like to do something kind or lovely in Eric's memory, that will be very sweet. Thank you.

No comments: