Saturday 14 June 2008

Lar's wedding!

Gosh - I believe I forgot to write about my friend Lara's wedding at the beginning of the month in texas!! I stepped off the plane at 11pm and thought yikes as the humid air hit me - no joke, the weather there was around 100f each day and very sticky. My poor friend lar, was kept awake most of the night with me coughing - and I feel sad that i wasn't healthier for her special occasion - whatever I'd been sick with had morphed into a spluttering/ bronchitis kind of thing - thankfully there were no coughing fits during the ceremony and the lovely make up artist told me how to conceal a tissue around the bouquet incase of need for a big nose blow.

As this was lar and Paul's 2nd wedding - they'd done it all 6 weeks earlier in South Africa for lar's folks, the atmosphere was light and relaxed and fun. I got to walk lara down the aisle as her UK/ South Africa representative. The ceremony took place overlooking a lake which reminded me a lot of Sydney harbour - aqua and emerald water with little white sailboats gliding past. During the ceremony a huge bird and a water skiier glided past (I believe at the point in the ceremony when the rabbi talked about how important desire is). It all seemed like a very good omen!

I fell hugely, madly, deeply in love with the flowergirls - Chinese twins aged 4 and three-quarters who were adopted 2 years ago from an orphanage in China. Apparently, when they arrived in the US they were totally malnourished and traumatised to the extent they couldn't have visitors - would have hysterics if they saw a teddy bear etc and now they are outgoing, loving, friendly, delightful human beings. The transformative power of love and a good home is quite amazing.

I came back wanting my own outdoor wedding and Chinese babies!

No comments: