Wednesday 25 June 2008

Preparing for refugee status ...

So - the road blockade (which was once 3 miles south of us) has now been moved to our front door. Rumour has it that all guests are being evacuated this afternoon. There's an official meeting at 1.30pm to see what's going on .. I went to the hot tubs this morning, sensing it could be the last time, if the whole property gets evacuated. My room mates say they were told to pack their bags to be ready to leave. I've checked with two people in our emergency response team who say this is unnecessary right now. Every cell in my muscles wants to be heading south towards sunshine and life (it feels eerily dead here with most of the guests gone). I have sent out a couple of e-mails to people I know who live that way to see if I can apply for refugee status on their couch for a night or two.

It's funny how you get out of bed with one plan for the day and life can pull the carpet out from under your feet. It was my first day off in what felt like eons and I was excited about hiking, dance classes, chilling out and being on vacation. Instead, I'm pulling ash flakes out of my hair and feeling a sense of imminent dispersal of my village and "community" with people on my program making plans to get the heck out of here.

A lady wants to use this computer so I'll say no more for now .... curious to see where this adventure will lead and eager for some hard news about what is really going on ....

No comments: