Saturday 28 June 2008

update ..

So.. we wrapped up our permaculture class on Weds night which was very lovely - it was sweet to all be sitting in the same space together and breaking down the huge amount of experiences and learning we'd gained over the two months.

My room-mates were doing lots of coughing on Weds night and one chose to turn the light on at 2am to read. Apparently, the headaches and nausea I'd been experiencing (alongside insomnia) are all signs of deprivation of good oxygen.

I knew with absolute certainty on Thurs, that I needed to leave temporarily to be able to breathe properly. It all worked out with amazing synchronicity. I awoke to an e-mail saying come stay from a friend (far more preferable than the Red Cross shelter!) - I then had to figure out how to get there and was panicky no cars would be heading that direction - but my co-worker who was heading to LA offered me a ride to my doorstep. He has no generator where he lives, so is minus fridge, air con, freezer etc while the electricity is out (estimated another 2 months before it's repaired). He had most of his possesions in the car - incase his home burnt in the interim - but we got all my luggage in, too.

It was a crazy goodbye as it was so quick - i trust the folks I never got a chance to say farewell to will forgive me and I hope we get the chance to meet again. I left feeling wrapped up in hugs and good wishes and with the sense of a community that will now exist on the web.

Around 1 hour south of Esalen, my headache lifted and I could see clear blue, sky. I knew I'd made the right decision!

My friend, Karen has been a darling - I'm sleeping in her 3 year-old daughter's princess-theme bedroom. It's been lovely and girly and relaxing - painting toenails, patting the fluffy pets, checking out all the cute stores in San Luis Obispo, hiking, reading books in the sunshine, nattering over salsa and chips and so forth.

I'm feeling very grateful for the way this has all worked out. Karen's boyfriend (ex-fireman) is still at Esalen being a hero - so we're getting regular updates. Around 90 people are left on the property. They've been clearing brush around the site to make it as fireproof as possible, just incase.

Esalen is closed to guests all this coming week (a good idea, methinks) and I understand that it is still likely to be safe from the flames.. So hold it and all the other businesses and homes in Big Sur in your prayers ...

Anyway, there's still plenty of permaculture to update y'all on. That will come in time!! Wanted to let everyone know I'm safe, well and in good hands xoxo

No comments: