Friday 4 July 2008

Yo for SLO!

I had such a great week in SLO (pronounced "slow" and less of a mouthful to say than San Luis Obispo). I loved all the people I spent time with - there were 3 people I had really strong intentions about spending time with and I have lots of lovely memories of them all.
I'll give you some snapshot memories: I got to walk barefoot on the beach 4 times - one time I even got to see dolphins play! I felt really part of the lives of all the people I was with. It was so lovely to be there, that I couldn't quite tear myself - and I'm grateful to my hosts for making me feel so at home and saying "Yay! Stay another night!!"
The trauma of leaving Esalen abruptly transformed itself into a sense of deep gratitude and happiness, thanks to the wonderful community and hospitality of my friends. I loved the light purple of the Jacaranda trees and the clear blue skies and mountains I saw every morning. In many ways it felt like a soul home.
There were lots of food memories. Sipping wine as we cooked together, picking veggies straight out of my friend, Tiffany's back garden; buying lots of yummy farm produce, going to delectable restaurants. I love the tradition Karen has with her friend and neighbour, Carol. They eat together every night in Carol's back garden and share the cooking - with kids and guests coming to join. Lots of great conversation and support - which I think has helped these two amazing ladies endlessly while they are both going through difficult divorces.
Some conclusions from my time in SLO.
Conclusion one: True richness for me is about the quality of people around me, the natural environment I'm in, the ability to eat fresh, healthy food made with love and to be feeling joyful with every step because the scenery makes me so happy.
Conclusion two: There are moments in life that transcend time and all dimensions and leave my soul happy and soaring - and some connections which seem eternal. I was blessed to bathe in this kind of yumminess on Thursday.
Conclusion three: I thought an extra 7 or 10 days at Esalen after my course was the best plan for me - however life presented me with something different (my SLO week) which I wouldn't have swapped for the world!
My heart is definitely still sitting in SLO !

No comments: