Monday 21 July 2008

I see it's been two weeks since my last post -wow-wee! what have I been doing? I got to reconnect with an Esalen friend in Berkeley for a few days and much fun was had by all. On July 11, I joined a week long camping tour to rugged/ outdoorsy places with The Green Tortoise www.greentortoise.com . I was a little torn about going as I had so many good options here in the Bay Area as well that week, but off I went ..

We drove through the night and I woke up on July 12 in Lassen National Park (apparently California's least visited park - but what a treasure). As I was hiking through bubbling mud and butterfly dappled fields of flowers and waterfalls, I knew that I'd made a very special choice.

The week was a blur of amazing places - each day was scenically very different. On day 2, we were at Lava National Monument which is volcanic and out in the desert with sagebrush and bright orange sunsets.

Then came Crater lake - the 7th deepest lake in either the US or the world (I forget which!). the blue of the water was so deep and gem-like I could have sat and meditated on its colour and the clouds and mountains reflected in it, all day ..

next was an overnighter at hot springs in the Oregon rainforest along the Umpqua River. Hiking to the springs at night was an adventure in itself - steep inclines and having to balance on a log to cross a gushing stream. We got lost on the way back from our dip. Another bunch of people got lost SEVEN times!!! I made sure by daylight and darkness that every time I went, I was with company and we still succeeded in getting lost. I think I still bare the mozzie bite scars from my stay there. In the rainforest, the mosquito is king.

next came Ashland, a cutesie, artsie town nestled among hills - some golden and bare - others thick with Alpine trees. I fell in love with their co-op (health food store and restaurant). I was reading their annual report, their newsleter and even asked about job opps as that's how good the place felt!

Then came the Redwood forest full of trees 300m high - I took a 9 mile hike there and felt like I was at the ankles of tall, wise elephants.

Now, I'm back in San fran. The sky is grey and I am oh-so-itchy to move myself on. It wil be either today or tomorrow.

No comments: