Sunday 6 July 2008

Happy compost tale

Somebody I met at yesterday's Cuddle Party we held in the house was telling me that in San Leandro (a place in the Bay Area) the council gives everyone a composting bin as well as a recycling bin. Once a week, the trash people collect the scraps for compost and take them to a big composting centre. What a wonderful idea - I'm sure it encourages many people who wouldn't compost themselves (too much bother - got to deal with worms, etc etc) to put their waste to good use. Go San Leandro! I wish in time every municipality takes this on board.

I've noticed since my course, I'm definitely seeing the world through new eyes - and it makes my heart plummet when I see resources being put to waste and it makes my insides glow when I see facilities for recycling and composting.

I'm reading a fantastic book - "How To Make The World A Better Place" - Over 100 Quick And Easy Actions - by Jeffrey Hollender - it's the 1990 edition (2nd hand book) but still speaks loudly and clearly to our times.

No comments: