Monday 28 July 2008

I think I'm gonna like it here (Canada!)

So, at 6.45am yesterday morning,I was standing outside Maxine's home in the drizzle waiting for my ride. I was sharing my journey with 2 Hollyhock old-timers who were going back for a week of reunion-celebration etc as they are friends with staff and a lady called Nancy who lives on the island.

There were all kinds of dramas - Mark forgot his passport, we took the wrong turn in the road and missed our ferry - but somehow it all turned out magically! The sun came out and we still made it to Cortes Island (where Hollyhock is) by the end of the day. The fear was that with 3 ferries to take, we'd miss our last connection and get stranded on a dinky little island overnight. That would have been a different adventure!

When i hear the word "island" I'm used to thinking of the tropical kind with palm trees. Cortes Island is very different - it has thick forest and forest floor that is as spongy as carpet to walk on. Everything is pristine, the air is sweet and gentle and bugs are minimal : )

Originally, I was going to sleep in Bryce's car (as I was arriving a day early) but used some chutzpah and asked Nancy (our local passenger) if I could stay at her place. She was delighted to oblige and what an adventure!! I have to namesdrop here - her next-door neighbour is Dr Andrew Weil - who is one of my heroes! I told her to pass on the message that I love his book "8 Weeks To Optimum health." She said that I'm bound to see him around the island, so can pass on that message in person! How exciting!!

Nancy decided at the age of 60 to buy a piece of land and do it up very sustainably. She has a small wooden cabin on her land, a large tent on a platform, various hammocks, and a "humanure toilet" (ie - non flushing - you cover up your doings with beach sand and seaweed - and one day it will be compost). the water on her land is all from rain catchment. I was seeing the stuff I learnt on my permaculture course in action!

This is probably the most exciting bit - Nancy was eager to hear my thoughts on what to do with her property based on permaculture principles. I gave her some ideas about zones (putting the things that she needed the most - like her water - close to the house) and also "framing her view" - trimming some of the growth blocking her ocean view - and she loved both suggestions. I suddenly realised that "I am a permaculture designer" and i can give people valid info that makes a difference. Exciting !!! At times on my course, I was so overwhelmed with the info - not having a background in farming or engineering or architecture or environmentalism - that I never really saw myself being able to advise people - but the suggestions fell easily off my tongue. It was an empowering moment when I recognised all that I'd learnt.

I feel that my environmental education will be continuing at Hollyhock as sustainability and social vision is at the heart of what it does. Eager to learn more!!

In the middle of the night, I got up to pee in the bushes and the stars were amazing and the sea was glowing in the dark. I'd heard that the sea here has this special quality (bio-luminescent). It was very enchanting to see it! We combined breakfast foods and had raw oatmeal with granola. Delicious! Nancy gave me her bike to use for the month I'm here and off I went - feeling that I've gained a new friend.

My programme begins at 5pm - so I have 7 hours to explore and enjoy. I think I'm gonna like it here!!!!!

No comments: