Wednesday 14 May 2008

another lovely day in paradise ...

For anyone with a background in psychology, there is a building here named Fritz (after Fritz Perls - father of gestalt therapy). Apparently, Esalen was very much the birthplace of gestalt practices and Mr Perls spent alot of time here. There are also buildings named after other old Esalen teachers - Rolf building for Ida Rolf the bodyworker and creator of rolfing (very painful massage that changes the body's structure), Huxley building after the author Aldous Huxley and Maslow after Abraham (?) Maslow who came up with the hierarchy of human needs pyramid which I rmember from my psychology 101 textbooks .

Anyway, back to Fritz Perls.. Esalen is still very big on gestalt practices and if my timetable was not already overflowing with an abundance of juicy offerings, i can now attend a gestalt practice group twice a week. I went along yesterday, to see what it was all about and along with hot tubs, good food and interactive learning, it presents something else I can see myself getting addicted to more of!

Got chatting in the hot tubs today to a lady who is the lifecoach for Google (and am excited as I can probably go and workshadow her when all this is over) - and over a breakfast of live muesli a sweet Brazilian gentleman was telling us about his job - to help people die. Another lady at the breakfast table said she had a near death experience when she was 19. she described "heaven" or wherever it is we go to post-living as feeling like a warm bath at just the right temperature - nothing to be afraid of and very nice! I'll leave you with that thought ..

Day off activities for today are going to include receiving a massage from a friend I took a massage workshop with here sometime back and going on a nature hike. The rest is all chill out and make it up as I go along.. I really feel like I've landed here and am loving it!

No comments: