Monday 5 May 2008

the journey - leg 2

For reasons, too complicated and not exciting enough to go into, I was continuing my journey with a new road companion. At midday Lala rolled in with her white car which smelt of lavender and was jam-packed with provisions. She is a free-spirited, Japanese artist and a bundle of sunny energy.

We were off the big highway now and taking smaller country roads. I lost count of the times I said "this is so beautiful!" The land we passed was semi-familiar to me and full of memories - the last time I saw it, it was thirsty and yellow - this time it was lush and green and at times the spring wildflowers were so intense it looked like someone had thrown pots of orange or purple paint over the grassy hills.

Normally, as I approach Esalen I get incredibly light and excited - this time I felt a little apprehensive - there was a taste of bittersweetness. The gatekeeper told me I'd been assigned to a fabulously located room - it is the nearest room to everything - a rustic cabin with a good, woody smell and four bunks. I was the first one there and in no time had made myself very at home and grabbed a top bunk which felt like a little hideaway as it's close to the eaves in the roof. I found out I was working in the gift store/ reception - which was a surprise as I was all psyched up to be chopping veggies and learning the secrets of Esalen cooking. I'll trust that whatever is - is meant to be!

After chatting to people at dinner and doing some fun dance and movement with the other 40 or so people on the work study programme, I was getting into my Esalen groove!!! The ocean sounds and the scents of the flowers, herbs and trees were intoxicating me and working their heady magic. At 5am this morning, I bounced out of my bunk - with a bring-it-on attitude towards the day ..

No comments: