Saturday 3 May 2008

into the desert

I love the high desert - it feels like home - with its dry heat, cloudless sky and vastness of land. These past few days I've been staying near the Joshua Tree National Monument. For any U2 fans (hello Nikki, hello Claire!) the motel I chose www.harmonymotel.com just happened to be the one that U2 stayed in when they got inspired to do their Joshua Tree album. I'm in room 4. Apparently the band stayed in room 5 - just one thin wall away from me!! I say thin as I was hearing the man in there cough last night!

The Joshua Tree National monument is stupendous - I may have to go back there for one last look before I zoom off shortly. The Lonely Planet described Joshua Trees as looking like an illustration from a Dr Seuss book. In the park there are valleys full of these funky, twisted trees - set amid the most amazing boulder formations which are just made for clambering on. April and May are wonderful months to be in the park as it's not too crazily hot yet (temperature in the 70s-90s), the cacti are flowering and the desert floor is carpeted with wildflowers. My first hour in the park was indescribable as it was so wonderful - going hiking on my own in a national park was also a first (parents - I hope you're not reading this bit!!). It was so fun to be totally on my own agenda stopping at whatever bit of warm rock called me to sit on it, walking meditatively slowly - sniffing the plants - watching the lizards - spinning round in circles. In a bid to avoid the strong midday rays, I was in the park by 8am and for the first few hours felt like I had this vast expanse of land all to myself.

In the Joshua Tree giftstore I came across an interesting looking book entitled: "Last Child In The Woods" by Richard Louv. The book argues that many problems affecting today's children, such as ADHD, depression and obesity are directly linked to children's lack of connection to and playtime in nature. I'm already sold by his argument. Being in nature makes me so exhilerated, happy and at one with myself and everything around me - that to be cut off from this life force cannot be healthy. I think when we're exposed to the life that teems around us, our bodies are reminded that we're part of this wonderful eco-system and our aliveness wakes up. I think I need to go back to Joshua Tree for one last hurrah - before returning the rental car and embarking on the next part of my journey.

My journey to Esalen begins with returning Cherry to Dollar rentals in Palm Springs for 10am and then a new road trip begins!

PS - If anyone is travelling here, may I recommend the Crossroads Cafe for tasty, healthy food at great prices and with a great atmosphere.

No comments: