Tuesday 6 May 2008

first day on the job ...

Let me tell you about my first day ...

7-7.25 - a great meditation class with exercises to do based on the Chinese tradition to wake up all our organs
7.30-8 - dipping into a yoga class which was great for stiff shoulders
8 - report to work. the reception/ office area doesn't open til 9 - so the first half hour of the day is quite meditative - vacuum the space, tidy up etc
8.30-8.45 - grab a bowl of granola and oatmeal and have a quick chat with a friend at breakfast
8.45-9 - still munching our breakfasts we have a "sharing" time in the office where everyone goes round and says how they are doing
9 - doors open! as I'm training today, I'm basically workshadowing. I love front of house/ people work - so I'm in a good place (although initially I was sad not to be chopping veggies in the kitchen - I think my new role is going to be fun). I successfully sell a few bits and bobs and book people in for massages! The team are laid back, but professional and are very supportive of "taking breaks".
11.30ish - I do just that! Go outside to look at the ocean and have a nice catch up with Anna from my road trip and eat some raisin toast)
12.30-1.30 - more sumptuous food by the ocean and time for a power nap
1.30-5 - my time at work flies by pleasantly
5-6 - head down to the hot tubs to soak away the day. a classmate offers me a shoulder massage in the tubs - oh joy! it's sunny and bright and the coastline is stunning, the sea below, sparkling. Post tubs - I find a massage table to lie out on to enjoy the sunshine on my body and the sound of the crashing surf below.
6-6.45 - food which is so delicious it's indescribable (an indian feast followed by the most amazing chocolate, ginger and almond tart). The food here is very wholesome - mainly vegetable and grain based and most of it grown organically on the grounds. very easy to have about 20 kinds of fruit and veg a day - an amazing salad bar as well!
6.45-7.45 - I need some me-time, so take a stroll and go sit in some of my favourite peaceful places by the ocean and snap lots of amazing wildflowers.
7.45-10 - An evening orientation for my permaculture group and the other group which is operating alongside us. I forget it's name, but it's a personal growth kind of course aimed at getting participants to know themselves better and tap into their personal magnificence. It's led by a family counsellor who has a great sense of humour. We play lots of fun get-to-know each other games which have us moving around the room, chatting and laughing. Although, I've not started my permaculture course yet, I love our leader - he's really sweet.
Esalen being Esalen the group members and leaders are finding lots of points of cross-fertilisation between our two courses and I think we'll be doing lots of learning from one another. I remember when I was working at the Isabella Freedman Retreat Ctr last year there were lots of discussions about whether we start by healing ourselves and then once we're whole we're in a position to affect planetary change - or whether it works the other way round - people throw themselves into activism out of idealism and then burn out and from this place start to address their inner selves. The dance between inner and outer worlds always fascinates me and I'm sure by the end of my 2 months here, I'll have learnt alot more about this dance.
10.15pm - ooh and aah at the amazing stars as I walk my sleepy self home.

Tonight my permaculture study course officially begins. Right now I have the choice - tun up 10 mins late for meditation or do some class reading by the ocean!!! Looking forward to another magical day ....

No comments: