Tuesday 13 May 2008

sleepy permaculturist seeks hammock

spent too long soaking in the hot tub last night after class - although it was awesome to lie back in the warm waters while getting a shoulder massage and marvel at all the stars. I had some stuff keeping my mind awake, so probably only got 3 or 4 hours sleep last night, so am a little sleep deprived! I sense my lunch hour will be spent catching up on zzzz napping in the sun on the lawn.

so ..onto my learnings!!

I have a new permaculture philosophy to meditate on these next few days. It's called protracted and thoughtful observation. It means don't just jump in there with action, but use time to observe and evaluate what is going on and then act. In a natural setting, this would mean looking at the land over a period of time and looking for patterns in the elements, before planning any design. It would not be fun to build a house and then find that it's in a spot where it gets wind-battered, sun deprived, gets the smells from the local rubbish dump going through and so on. One of our projects is to befriend a spot in nature and spend 30 mins every week sitting there, drawing sketches, taking notes and getting to know the spot very well. Apparently, lying back on a hammock and watching the land is a legitimate permaculture activity! I remember ordering a mattress without actually measuring how long I am and when it arrived, my feet dangled off the end. This would be an example of jumping in there without enough prior observation.

I have a personal situation going on right now, which I am applying some thoughtful observation to before taking action. In some ways it's nice to be able to take a step back and wait rather than responding out of emotion in the heat of the moment. Feels calmer, wiser ..

No comments: