Wednesday 21 May 2008

Permaculture - Food Gardens of Eden

I've been learning how to munch on plant life I find along the wayside - during a hike into an area of Redwoods, I discoverd that clove leaves are oh-so-tasty (surprised they don't find their way into more salad bowls!!) and the guy who has arrived to lead a 7 day cleanse introduced me to flowers as food. I'm very smitten by the juice from passion flowers (which we are lucky to have plenty of on the property). I sampled nasturtium (good for salad) and calendula (bleeeuuurghhh !!! not for my palette).

Permaculture keeps on feeding me these Garden of Eden images where plant life is lush and bountiful and we walk around plucking tasty morsels off the foliage. Happy to have started living it a little!!! I believe the correct terminology for this is "a food forest". We've seen interesting footage of food forests being created in poor areas - such as rural Zimbabwe and India - and how bare earth became a thriving, teeming food-abundant garden feeding whole communities. I am still clueless about how to create this .. but it's good to see possibilities in the world!

No comments: