Saturday 3 May 2008

really here ..

You may have been asked the question before - how will you know when X is really happening? In my case, how will I really know I'm here? At the airport, there was a little sense of "oh - I'm going somewhere" - sitting and chatting on the flight with a lovely retired couple next to me about travel plans made it seem a little more real. Returning to hosts who'd put me up just a few months ago and catching up reminded me that I was back somewhere I'd been before. But I didn't get that "wow - this is real feeling" until the next morning after my jetlagged head had rested all night on a pillow.

Before hitting the scary interstate (big fast road with lots of rumbling trailer homes and articulated vehichles thundering past) i thought I'd go to a favourite spot and do a few yoga stretches. In Santa Monica, there is a beautiful, landscaped walkway which overlooks the beach many hundreds of feet below. As I stretch out my hamstrings on the railings and look down at the wide sands and lapping waves below, the bright wildflowers and palms around me, I feel so light with the sunshine brightness of everything. At that moment I enter my summer. Finally here!

No comments: